Thursday, July 7, 2011

Lime-Yogurt Cupcakes with Lime Buttercream


I made these last night to (take a break from life/lighten the heavy Pearl of Great Price reading/use up some of my fairly large supply of citrus fruits). Finished the decorating today... this is how it goes.

CUPCAKES:
Makes 24 cupcakes

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
4 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain yogurt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 24 muffin slots with oil or cupcake papers.

2. Whisk together flour, soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

3. Beat egg whites on medium speed (I always did high speed, hehe) until soft peaks form. Add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until peaks are stiff and glossy but not dry.

4. If using a stand mixer and needing the used bowl, move beaten egg whites to another bowl. Set aside.

5. Cream butter in mixer on medium-high speed until smooth. Add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and zest, then beat until pale and fluffy.

6. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Mix in lime juice and vanilla.

7. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in three sets, alternating with two sets of yogurt. Beat until just incorporated after each addition.

8. Mix in 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites.

9. Divide batter evenly among baking cups, about 3/4 full each. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning the cakes halfway through (though I never do this haha). Transfer finished cupcakes to wire racks to cool completely (I also neglect this part, but you do need to let them cool completely at any rate ;).

*FROSTING:
I based my frosting off of this recipe out of my Decorating Basics Lesson Plan by Wilton: http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Class-Buttercream-Icing-Stiff-Consistency. I substituted about 4-5 teaspoons fresh lime juice for the water and Kirkland Pure Vanilla Extract for the Wilton Flavor. I also cut corners with the process and put ingredients in at about the same time, but that's just me ;)

*Note: This yields a very stiff frosting. I wanted this consistency to produce the rose decorations you saw in the photo above. If you aren't interested in creating these intricate shapes, add water until you achieve the consistency you want. 


In retrospect, I probably should've added more liquid to my frosting so my petals wouldn't split as much, but the cracked petals have their own charm ;)


These are created using a technique taught in the Wilton Decorating Basics class!

***

Comments: Don't be daunted by how much work this looks like! It's really not so bad... and the results are so worth it! :) I have made the cupcake recipe twice now, but this time around my egg whites collapsed (due either to the amount of humidity as of late or some human error of mine). But, after consulting the guru of cooking questions (aka Dad) and being unwilling to scratch the recipe, I went ahead and carried on as usual and used my flopped egg whites. Perhaps the results were more dense this time around, but the flavor was perfectly fine! Also, I didn't make this recipe exactly to the T in terms of measurements or the precise order of ingredient adding (that's just me), but everything resembled pretty closely to what is above. :)

***

Credits:
CUPCAKES - Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes (2009) recipe "Lemon-Yogurt Cupcakes with Raspberry Jam", page 125. Here, I substituted the lemon ingredients for lime ones, as well as other adjustments, like salted butter instead of unsalted, and leaving out the raspberry jam instructions.

FROSTING - Adapted from Wilton's "Class Buttercream Icing (Stiff Consistency)" recipe out of my Decorating Basics Lesson Plan by Wilton. I substituted lime juice for the water (and didn't use quite 7-8 teaspoons as perhaps I should have) and Kirkland Pure Vanilla Extract for the Wilton Flavor.

Well, thanks for stoppin' by. The next thing up here won't be near so lengthy, I promise. Maybe. :)

Peace,
Rackel

No comments:

Post a Comment