Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with Streusel Topping
A delicious (and surprisingly easy) summertime pie! I saw it on Tasty Kitchen and had to try it out...
FILLING:
2 3/4 cups sliced fresh rhubarb, about 5-6 medium stalks
2 cups sliced strawberries
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
STREUSEL TOPPING:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (one stick), cold and cut into small pieces
*1 unbaked single pie crust (store-bought or your favorite recipe)
Makes 8 servings
1. Combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch in a medium-large bowl. Mix well. Mixture should be thick and syrupy after this step.
2. Roll out pie crust per recipe or store-bought instructions and place in a 9 inch or a 9 1/2 inch pie plate. Pour filling into crust, using a large spoon to spread evenly.
3. For the filling, combine flour and brown sugar in a small (I'd actually suggest medium) bowl. Cut butter into pieces and cut the butter into the flour/brown sugar mixture with two knives or a pastry cutter. It should have the consistency of coarse crumbs when you are finished. Sprinkle the crumbs over the rhubarb/strawberry mixture.
4. Place pie plate on a rimmed cookie sheet (this step is important ;) and into a 400 degree oven. Bake for 50-55 minutes, covering the edges with foil halfway through to prevent overbrowning of the crust.
5. Let the pie cool completely before serving. Serve with freshly whipped cream, if desired (highly recommended ;)
*This is the crust I used (and the one I use for any pie that asks a pastry crust). A family recipe!
Makes 2 crusts
1 cup shortening
2 2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
(1 1/2 cups ice water + 1 tablespoon vinegar) 6-7 tablespoons of ice water mixture
Cut shortening into flour and salt. Add water gradually, cutting it into the dough after every 1-2 tablespoonful addition. Roll out onto floured surface after dough barely comes together.
Comments: This pie is GREAT. The rhubarb packs a lotta punch without being totally overwhelming, thanks to the sugar and strawberries. And the streusel topping totally makes it.
Rave reviews from roommates and friends. Try it! :D
Credit:
PIE: Melanie of Mel's Kitchen Cafe via Tasty Kitchen. The recipe is pretty much the same... I just copied it in somewhat different wording :)
*CRUST: Recipe from my mom, who believes it is originally from her grandma, Delsa Hill Beck :) I may have put a little spin on the instructions over time (my hand-written ones were scant!), but I think the integrity is still there ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment